SigningsHotline.com Forum: April JPs Hofstra Show - SigningsHotline.com Forum

Welcome! SigningsHotline DeLuxe now offers Email AND Text alerts for any athlete, state, college, team or award you like. Plus more listing info, shop 800 dealers at once and Gold members even get autograph discounts from the top promoters. Click Here To Join Now!

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

April JPs Hofstra Show

#41 User is offline   brilis2016 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Locationlong island new york

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:41 AM

Why is shamsky in white plans??? I just don`t understand it not at all

I have had several letter back and forth to armando samuel and he would love to do a show ... gordon richardson would also be open to one he told me it has been 3 years since he was in jersey so there are older mets that can be brought in ... personally I have everything i need from both thue the mail BUT if they were to be booked i would start a 16 by 20 shea print to add all mets

Seaver??? he cant be all that bad he is one that I really need on everything he seams to be able to bunce around his grapes pretty well so he can`t do 1-2 signings a year???

Kaline , Lasorta Coxx and dident Gaylord Perry canel as a free guest here??

This is the biggest show of the year on Long Island please make it so.....

I`m guessing your pulling back a little b/c of the national being so close BUT if your bringing them in first would that not matter? plus you under cut tri-star and you make the $$$....

with Shamsky being at w/p there are no 69 guys i need unless you can get Martin or Boswell

bUT it`s 2016 so im expecting a rush of 86 mets at least 10 to 15 and of course Jack will try also to do them

this event will come up fast now you brought in all of those Jets to w/p especting at least that many guests here....

#42 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

Couldn't agree more, very disappointed lately with the lineup for these shows. I can't even remember the last time I've been to a jps show now. Think the last show I went to was when David tyree and Lawrence taylor were there togather.

#43 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

For the past 2 years I've only stopped into JP shows on Fridays. They still have the best dealers for any area show. The 86 Met thing has been put to bed. Steiner did it big in January and honestly they are always around. The Islanders did so well for Steiner last year, it is baffling why no one has done something with them this year.

As for the Yankee signings, couldnt agree more. I'll come to Hofstra to support the show, but right now, I wont be standing in line for anyone

#44 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

View Postbrilis2016, on 20 March 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

Why is shamsky in white plans??? I just don`t understand it not at all

I have had several letter back and forth to armando samuel and he would love to do a show ... gordon richardson would also be open to one he told me it has been 3 years since he was in jersey so there are older mets that can be brought in ... personally I have everything i need from both thue the mail BUT if they were to be booked i would start a 16 by 20 shea print to add all mets

Seaver??? he cant be all that bad he is one that I really need on everything he seams to be able to bunce around his grapes pretty well so he can`t do 1-2 signings a year???

Kaline , Lasorta Coxx and dident Gaylord Perry canel as a free guest here??

This is the biggest show of the year on Long Island please make it so.....

I`m guessing your pulling back a little b/c of the national being so close BUT if your bringing them in first would that not matter? plus you under cut tri-star and you make the $$$....

with Shamsky being at w/p there are no 69 guys i need unless you can get Martin or Boswell

bUT it`s 2016 so im expecting a rush of 86 mets at least 10 to 15 and of course Jack will try also to do them

this event will come up fast now you brought in all of those Jets to w/p especting at least that many guests here....

Art shamsky is in White Plains because that was when we were able to reschedule Wayne Garrett, we tried for Hofstra but Wayne was not available. If does make more sense to have the two together at the same show. We are also putting Wayne out for free.

Seaver is not doing anything, Don't you think he was called for the show and he can not do it because of health.

Martin and Boswell are not coming we talked to both of them, they don't want to do shows anymore.

#45 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

JPs - if you used the same logic for wanting to schedule Garrett and Shamsky together, I'm surprised it wasn't planned accordingly to re schedule David Justice with another Yankee. It also was never addressed why his pricing went up substantially after he was rescheduled.

There have been a plethora of Yankee suggested names in the above forums that I would love to see JPs bring in. Jim Abbott, Mike Pagliarulo as a return freebie, Mike Stanton, Rollie Sheldon, etc. I thought MAB's Yankee show in January had a strong lineup, but JPs really has been Met oriented at many of their recent shows. The JPs past shows have had good overall lineups even though they haven't really appealed to me. How many times could the 1986 Mets be done, especially without Gary Carter.

#46 User is offline   reader 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

JP are obviously fans of the Mets in their private lives so their bias bleeds through into their show lineups. There's never a mention of cost vs. reward when booking Mets, that's only brought up as an excuse to not book Yankees. There is a top of the line Mets fan across the river in New Jersey, her name is Mollie B. She is cuckoo for cocoa puffs when it comes to the Mets yet as a business woman in the same business as JP she doesn't let her fan sense affect her business sense. She knows that Yankees sell, period. Mets sell too but Yankee collectors have no budget for the signers they want or need. JP is going to lose an entire cadre of collectors if they don't smarten up and maybe it's already too late, who knows.

#47 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Here you go, we are working on more payers for Hofstra, some Yankee names, they will be announced this week.

You know guys this whole business is very fustrating, if only you knew how many hours we put into this to try and get guests.

Certain names we need to put to rest here.

It will be a miracle if Tom Seaver ever comes to a show again.

Let's talk Jim Abbott, how many of you want to pay $100 per auto on him, please let me know if I get a good showing here, I will try to book him. That is what he would cost you for an auto. If I booked him and put him out at $100 per auto you mrjjeter would scream at me and you know what, you would be right. Jim Abbott has turned down 15k for the appearance, we would have to go to him at 20k, first class airfare ,plus agent, so I have to pray he does 225 autos at $100 each because no one is going to buy him except the public he is too pricey.

David Justice was only available for that date, don't you think he would have fit into mab show in January if he was available, sometimes you have to take them when you can.

Last year on this board it was said that why is it only Mets at Hofstra and no Mets at White Plains. Now I bring Mets to White Plains and look your still not happy. You guys are really funny.

You know guys why just not enjoy things and collect what you want and just pass on things you don't want. Life is too short.

We take you suggestions to heart, but if you think about it, there are reasons why some of these players have not been around. Some just don't want to do it or price is nuts.

#48 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

View Postreader, on 20 March 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

JP are obviously fans of the Mets in their private lives so their bias bleeds through into their show lineups. There's never a mention of cost vs. reward when booking Mets, that's only brought up as an excuse to not book Yankees. There is a top of the line Mets fan across the river in New Jersey, her name is Mollie B. She is cuckoo for cocoa puffs when it comes to the Mets yet as a business woman in the same business as JP she doesn't let her fan sense affect her business sense. She knows that Yankees sell, period. Mets sell too but Yankee collectors have no budget for the signers they want or need. JP is going to lose an entire cadre of collectors if they don't smarten up and maybe it's already too late, who knows.

Reader I wish. Would have seen this before I wrote my other response.

Mollie runs a big Yankee show in January, thus is why we don't run Yankees in January and March most of the times. I don't know where you have been but I think we ran Mariano Rivera not once but twice, goose many times, nettles, Reggie Jackson many times, all 78 Yankees, been through most of the old Yankees that can travel, even got Horace Clarke to come in twice etc...

We run both Yankees and Mets, Hall if famers etc...

All I'm going to say now us if this becomes a pissing contest I will not look at this board or post on this board anymore.

#49 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

View Postbrilis2016, on 07 March 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

Al Kaline Al Kaline dang it

And Gossage is about to be a stiner exclusive

not everyone can get to white plains all the time so this show has to be huge to long island

granted the baseball hall of famers or coming together BUT as unseal it`s molly`s guys although they have not been here in a while and Sutter with the shl discount is a great price but where is Cox or Lasorta or even a reasonable Frank Robinson??? and can we say a one last Willie Mays day???

Football again as this is the long island national should have a good crop of names kind of like sun times show with all the 39 dollar guys give us a break on Montana rice and the over priced Bradshaw $200 per insc give me a break
get the older guys when did you have Sam Huff? Gino Marchetti? Leroy Kelly? Jim Otto before you can`t bring him due to his health... Y.A tittle and John Hannah .... there are plenty of names out there to do Football Justice

Hockey also plenty of guys the Islanders of course I don`t care if people are sick of hearing it but they have the last dynasty in hockey until you can win 4 or more in a row shut up and bow down to them they are all getting older also always want to start new things with them at 20 a guy or a freebie or 2 a lot of older hockey hall of famers also that are cheap to get

basketball Ewing and any new York world champs along with any hall of famers West seams to be touring the country and has Russell ever been to Hofstra???? or Pippen or Stockton <--- there is a tough one for you to get that would be impressive when living in Memphis in 2002 I got all but 6 guys Jorden-Ewing-R Wallace [ almost got thrown through a window] - Harrington- Garnett and John....

There are plenty to choose from out there Murry-Thomes and Sutter are a good start but where to go from here ..... Al Kaline that's where

We just had Al Kaline in August 7 months ago,

#50 User is offline   GetsByBuckner 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

View Postjpssports, on 20 March 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

Mollie runs a big Yankee show in January, thus is why we don't run Yankees in January and March most of the times. I don't know where you have been but I think we ran Mariano Rivera not once but twice, goose many times, nettles, Reggie Jackson many times, all 78 Yankees, been through most of the old Yankees that can travel, even got Horace Clarke to come in twice etc...

All I'm going to say now us if this becomes a pissing contest I will not look at this board or post on this board anymore.

I hope you don't stop using the board. JPRS is the only promoter who actually engages the customers and solicits suggestions, so I would really hate to lose that interaction and the chance to make a pitch for someone I'm looking to have sign.

As for the Mets/Yankees thing...I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. If you look the past shows, a quick review of who you had in 2015 clearly shows that it was pretty evenly matched in terms of the number of Mets v Yankees. Both in the mid 20's. I get that Yankee fans are probably not excited about a '69 Mets show, but the worm will turn at some point and there will be a '77 or '78 Yankees (or '96, or '98) show that won't really do much for me or the Mets collectors. Natural course of business and to be expected. It all eventually evens out in the wash. Everyone will get their turn.

Abbott seems to be the one guy that Yankee fans seem to want (he's mentioned here often)...would you guys even entertain trying to do a private signing for him? It might be the way to tackle that one for the Yankee collector. I have been hoping for MAB to step up and arrange something like that for Seaver, who clearly is never coming back to a show (its 4+ years at this point).

#51 User is offline   reader 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

View Postjpssports, on 20 March 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

You're right, Jim, life is too short. It's my frustration coming through because I was hoping for one good Hofstra show of 2 or 3 Yankees like a Billy Sample caliber to be honest so I could have one last hurrah and call it a happy hobby ending.

#52 User is offline   silverbacksports2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:34 AM

Well all I can say 69 Mets in WP did just fine. And we are all not Mets fans. Actually Jimmy is. Ruben, Brian and myself are Yankees fans. We have 3 of us working on getting players for these shows plus agents. If you knew half of the prices you would be sick. Like Jim said Jim Abbott wants alot of loot. I personally don't think he is worth it. John Olerud was pointed out earlier. He declined us.There is a Yankee gap from 78-96. Do you want guys like Gary Ward and Bob Shirley?

-Ryan

#53 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

Idk about everyone else but I would probably bite the bullet and pay $100 for Jim Abbott because i really need him on my yankee no hitter project i have going on. The only thing i just dont understand is not wanting to bring the yankees back again for more signings. I mean I know you guys have had goose gossage, mickey rivers and horacle clarke, but people like myself have been clamoring to have them back for another show. In alot of instances I cant get goose because ive already spent money on joe torre or mariano in the same month and just cant get everyone i need in one shot. Yet we have david tyree twice within a quick amount of time. So when i suggest mickey rivers you say we just had him last year. I don't mean to be overly critical I'm just trying to show you where I'm coming from. I appreciate you guys always responding back to me and being able to respectfully work together to make the your shows a great exprience.

#54 User is offline   reader 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

Ryan, any Yankees, ANY, who have had little to no previous local exposure are welcome at Hofstra. How about Ruben Amaro Sr.? He's from Pa. and usually only does Pa. shows.

#55 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

JP

First and foremost you guys are a great operation and a throwback to the way shows used to be. I may not always need guys you get but I always try to buy from the dealers. I appreciate your participation on the boards

Speaking for myself only I might go 100 for Abbot but it would be cool if you could tie in other players from his No hitter Velarde,Tartabull etc...

There also seems to be a big gap of players not represented from the Yankee 3 peat 98 99 00.

If you really want to appeal to both fan bases a Subway series themed show would be awesome

#56 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

View Postjpssports, on 20 March 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Here you go, we are working on more payers for Hofstra, some Yankee names, they will be announced this week.

You know guys this whole business is very fustrating, if only you knew how many hours we put into this to try and get guests.

Certain names we need to put to rest here.

It will be a miracle if Tom Seaver ever comes to a show again.

Let's talk Jim Abbott, how many of you want to pay $100 per auto on him, please let me know if I get a good showing here, I will try to book him. That is what he would cost you for an auto. If I booked him and put him out at $100 per auto you mrjjeter would scream at me and you know what, you would be right. Jim Abbott has turned down 15k for the appearance, we would have to go to him at 20k, first class airfare ,plus agent, so I have to pray he does 225 autos at $100 each because no one is going to buy him except the public he is too pricey.

David Justice was only available for that date, don't you think he would have fit into mab show in January if he was available, sometimes you have to take them when you can.

Last year on this board it was said that why is it only Mets at Hofstra and no Mets at White Plains. Now I bring Mets to White Plains and look your still not happy. You guys are really funny.

You know guys why just not enjoy things and collect what you want and just pass on things you don't want. Life is too short.

We take you suggestions to heart, but if you think about it, there are reasons why some of these players have not been around. Some just don't want to do it or price is nuts.

First and foremost, I think this is all good conversation on the Signings Hotline boards. Us collectors are offering suggestions and constructive criticism as a way to help you bring in guests that appeal to our collecting needs. It's a potential win-win situation for all parties involved.

It's very unfortunate that your response message consisted of the following line: "All I'm going to say now us if this becomes a pissing contest I will not look at this board or post on this board anymore."

Using the "pissing contest" line was very classless and rubbed me the wrong way. Most board members would get reprimanded for using derogatory language. As a promoter representing your company, it's unfortunate that is the way you chose to express yourself, as it's a poor reflection of your company. I question your word choice and poor outlook on the boards, as it's not the professional image that you probably want to create for your company.

Reading all of the posts in this thread, I don't think anyone's remarks are out of line at all. Once again, we're all being constructive and offering our suggestions. By threatening to not post or read the message boards, that would ultimately be a missed opportunity for your company. I really do appreciate your candidness and the time that you take to post on the board and read our suggestions. I think most other members feel the same way - I wish more promoters didn't take the time to actively post and correspond with customers. But again, that's a foolish threat to make when (1) no prior posts were out of line and (2) you can threaten all you want, but in the end, JP's would be hurt the most. By being candid and coming on the boards, JP's reaps the most benefits by showing responsiveness and professionalism (when writing with class). Coming on the boards is also a great way to advertise and promote your shows, private signings, mail order opportunities, etc. and come across as a loyal and reputable company.

Regarding your post above, you said, "If I booked [Jim Abbott] and put him out at $100 per auto you mrjjeter would scream at me and you know what, you would be right." You're incorrect, I would not scream - What is screaming going to accomplish? So many other ways to express yourself then by screaming. The financial consideration is a gamble that your company would have to make. As they say, "To make money, you have to spend money." This is certainly a risky business, and I respect whatever business decision you chose to make. That is the challenging and rewarding aspects of running a business. I appreciate your candidness by divulging as much information regarding his pricing as you have. But to correct your beliefs, no one is screaming...we're just having conversation about the hobby that we all love.

There's no doubt that JP's strives to plan great shows, and more times than not they do. I have gone to dozens and dozens of JP's shows (and before that, Gloria Rothstein shows) and always have a great time. Thank you for listening to our suggestions and for all of your efforts to bring in the guests that we suggest.

#57 User is offline   silverbacksports2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 21 March 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

First and foremost, I think this is all good conversation on the Signings Hotline boards. Us collectors are offering suggestions and constructive criticism as a way to help you bring in guests that appeal to our collecting needs. It's a potential win-win situation for all parties involved.

It's very unfortunate that your response message consisted of the following line: "All I'm going to say now us if this becomes a pissing contest I will not look at this board or post on this board anymore."

Using the "pissing contest" line was very classless and rubbed me the wrong way. Most board members would get reprimanded for using derogatory language. As a promoter representing your company, it's unfortunate that is the way you chose to express yourself, as it's a poor reflection of your company. I question your word choice and poor outlook on the boards, as it's not the professional image that you probably want to create for your company.

Reading all of the posts in this thread, I don't think anyone's remarks are out of line at all. Once again, we're all being constructive and offering our suggestions. By threatening to not post or read the message boards, that would ultimately be a missed opportunity for your company. I really do appreciate your candidness and the time that you take to post on the board and read our suggestions. I think most other members feel the same way - I wish more promoters didn't take the time to actively post and correspond with customers. But again, that's a foolish threat to make when (1) no prior posts were out of line and (2) you can threaten all you want, but in the end, JP's would be hurt the most. By being candid and coming on the boards, JP's reaps the most benefits by showing responsiveness and professionalism (when writing with class). Coming on the boards is also a great way to advertise and promote your shows, private signings, mail order opportunities, etc. and come across as a loyal and reputable company.

Regarding your post above, you said, "If I booked [Jim Abbott] and put him out at $100 per auto you mrjjeter would scream at me and you know what, you would be right." You're incorrect, I would not scream - What is screaming going to accomplish? So many other ways to express yourself then by screaming. The financial consideration is a gamble that your company would have to make. As they say, "To make money, you have to spend money." This is certainly a risky business, and I respect whatever business decision you chose to make. That is the challenging and rewarding aspects of running a business. I appreciate your candidness by divulging as much information regarding his pricing as you have. But to correct your beliefs, no one is screaming...we're just having conversation about the hobby that we all love.

There's no doubt that JP's strives to plan great shows, and more times than not they do. I have gone to dozens and dozens of JP's shows (and before that, Gloria Rothstein shows) and always have a great time. Thank you for listening to our suggestions and for all of your efforts to bring in the guests that we suggest.

#58 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 21 March 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

It's too bad you took my statement the wrong way and rubbed you the wrong way. I think if you ask most board members in here and thousands of other customers that come to the shows over the years they will agree that we are not putting forth a classless image when promoting our shows. That's all I'm going to say about this.

It's easy to put together a wish list but sometimes very hard to fill it. Let me fill you in on what happened tonight, I called a player for a free guest for Sunday Hofstra, give you a hint he cancelled once in the past, I have worked with this player 8 different times. Wanted to put him out free for the show, you know what he told me, he has doubled his price, now we can not bring him in as a free guest, which really stinks, so now you see my frustration, worked with the guy 8 times and probably not a 9 time.

#59 User is offline   bobbydmetfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

Well, I'm late to the party, but, better late than never, LOL.

Guys at JPRS do a great job I think, and I hope you continue to interact with us. In the 3 years or so I've been on here, you are the only promoter who does, and for that alone you should win some sort of award, because at times if I were you, I'd never look at the boards. At times, everyone is a little upset because someone cancels an appearance at a show, or we don't get the player we request, or, whatever........BUT, we are all human beings, and no one likes to be talked to in a negative way. At some point when you get backed into a corner, you're going to come out swinging. I was ready to come out swinging for you, LOL......just because I think your shows have been more than fair, as far as Mets vs Yankees goes. I'm a Met fan first, but I do collect plenty of other players/themes, (EVEN YANKEES), such as Rookies of the Year, Cy Young, No hitters, etc....

At the end of the day, it's YOUR COMPANY, and we are the customer. We should go to a show based on who we want or need, and that should be what it's all about.

For what it's worth.............and it's just my opinion, because I'm doing a no hitter piece...........but I would NOT pay $100 for Jim Abbot. Why?? I would need an inscription, which would probably cost about another $30..........Again, we all want who we want, But I'm not paying that price, for a guy was 20 games under .500 for his career............something seems wrong about that price............but again, just my opinion.

Keep up the good work...........

#60 User is offline   Armes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

this has been very insightful discussion. I can see how both the collectors and JP really care about this hobby and all the hard work both parties put into it. I must commend JP for responding and being apart of this community and truly hope they continue to see collectors passion as a positive. Also as a collector I can totally sympathize how difficult it must be to work with various people to schedule an event and be profitable.

I think a lot of times we as collectors just keep posting our wish list and never really know what the story is. Will a player ever sign... Is someone actively working them... Just to high priced.... Etc.

Perhaps there is away to track this or update as a separate thread. That way the collectors understand and at the same time we know which promoter to support more. If JP had baseball and football list of players who are impossible to get due to pricing or not doing shows we would atleast know. Also we could see the effort put foward by the promoter. Now I know there are a lot of players but perhaps by simply anaylizing a top 10 wish list by members there maybe a lot of similar names which cuts the list down. This information could be useful for all. I know it may mean additional work but could be a positive outcome.

I do not collect baseball and for JP I am always hoping for more football players particularly past HOFers . 😉

Hope my comments are useful and to all collectors and JP thanks for being apart of this great hobby.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users