SigningsHotline.com Forum: jan. show - SigningsHotline.com Forum

Welcome! SigningsHotline DeLuxe now offers Email AND Text alerts for any athlete, state, college, team or award you like. Plus more listing info, shop 800 dealers at once and Gold members even get autograph discounts from the top promoters. Click Here To Join Now!

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

jan. show

#41 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostMrJeter2, on 10 December 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Jim,

The January JPs guest list looks solid. Very Mets heavy, but with the exception of Tom Seaver, many of the best living Mets will be there (Piazza, Keith, Gooden, Strawberry, etc)

How many more players are you planning to add? Any Yankees in the works? What are the chances of Don Mattingly, and more to my collecting needs, Mike Pagliarulo? I know your plan was to reschedule them for this January 2018 Show following last year’s cancellation.

Thank you!

Hello,

Player updates to be aded to the site today

Brandon Nimo - Current Met - Saturday

Mike Paliarulo - Free Guest on Sunday, I know a lot of people have been asking for him since we cancelled him last year.

On a side note, I saw some comments made here on the free guests and the rules for getting signatures on the free guests, I just want to go over them with everybody.

The rule is one free signature per paid admission per person - It does not mean show up with 6 free cards in your hand, there is a limit of one per person free. Additional signatures are $10.00 each and can be purchased out front with other autograph tickets. The free guest is a Show promotion to show everyone our appreciation for coming to the show. We want everyone if they want to to get a free signature in the advertised time period of the player signing. I know some people were bragging about beating the system and getting a bunch of stuff signed for free. We don't want to break the system, we think a free autograph guest is a great thing for the customer and always want to continue it.

Thanks in advance for adhering to the rules
Jim

#42 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

View Postjpssports, on 18 December 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Hello,

Player updates to be aded to the site today

Brandon Nimo - Current Met - Saturday

Mike Paliarulo - Free Guest on Sunday, I know a lot of people have been asking for him since we cancelled him last year.

On a side note, I saw some comments made here on the free guests and the rules for getting signatures on the free guests, I just want to go over them with everybody.

The rule is one free signature per paid admission per person - It does not mean show up with 6 free cards in your hand, there is a limit of one per person free. Additional signatures are $10.00 each and can be purchased out front with other autograph tickets. The free guest is a Show promotion to show everyone our appreciation for coming to the show. We want everyone if they want to to get a free signature in the advertised time period of the player signing. I know some people were bragging about beating the system and getting a bunch of stuff signed for free. We don't want to break the system, we think a free autograph guest is a great thing for the customer and always want to continue it.

Thanks in advance for adhering to the rules
Jim

Awesome news re: Pagliarulo. Eager to see who else is added for the Sunday show. Marking the date on my calendar. Thanks Jim!

#43 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

Some more Yankee/Baseball suggestions for Sunday:

Yankees
- Gary Sheffield (via MC Sports) - JP's hasn't had him since 2012. When MAB last had him in 2014, he was rollback pricing but wasn't able to attend.
- Butch Wynegar - Has never done a signing outside of MIL, after you guys brought in Matt Nokes he's the last of the no-hit/perfect game catchers I need on my piece
- Luis Sojo - never been to a JP's show
- David Justice
- Phil Niekro
- Randy Velarde
- Melido Perez
- Kevin Maas
- Steve Sax
- Rollie Sheldon
- Art Ditmar - willing/able to travel?
- Joba Chamberlain - retired
- Bobby Abreu

Baseball
- Bert Blyleven - Only time would be offseason due to announcing responsibilities
- Joe Carter
- Jim Edmonds
- Jeff Bagwell

Mollie was pretty candid in the MAB forum about the odds of Jim Abbott or Chuck Knoblauch.

#44 User is offline   bonafyde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 18 December 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

Yankees
- Gary Sheffield (via MC Sports) - JP's hasn't had him since 2012. When MAB last had him in 2014, he was rollback pricing but wasn't able to attend.
- Butch Wynegar - Has never done a signing outside of MIL, after you guys brought in Matt Nokes he's the last of the no-hit/perfect game catchers I need on my piece
- David Justice
- Phil Niekro
- Randy Velarde
- Melido Perez
- Kevin Maas
- Steve Sax
- Rollie Sheldon
- Bobby Abreu

Baseball
- Bert Blyleven - Only time would be offseason due to announcing responsibilities
- Joe Carter
- Jim Edmonds
- Jeff Bagwell

Mollie was pretty candid in the MAB forum about the odds of Jim Abbott or Chuck Knoblauch.

#45 User is offline   bonafyde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

I would think Knoblauch is a guy JPs would love to have former ROY and 3 x WS champ.

Brosius is another WS MVP. It’s been 20 years since the dynasty era. I would like to see these guys as frequently as we see the 77-78 guys.

Paul O’Neill is a fan favorite. I just don’t see how you guys can still make money off of Reggie Jackson but not guys from the last Yankee dynasty.

I understand it would be difficult to get a core four guy but from what the feedback of the board is, the demand seems to be legit.

#46 User is offline   silverbacksports2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

View PostMrJeter2, on 18 December 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

Yankees
- David Justice
- Phil Niekro
- Randy Velarde
- Melido Perez
- Kevin Maas
- Steve Sax
- Rollie Sheldon
- Bobby Abreu

Yankees

Too Much $$$

I thought about it,been trying to find him

lives in Venezuela in the off season too much $ for travel
- David Justice- eeeh
- Phil Niekro - Good name, been a while
- Randy Velarde - overpaid last time
- Melido Perez - He sucks
- Kevin Maas - too much $ and he sucks too
- Steve Sax - way overpriced tried a few times
- Rollie Sheldon- too old
--- was too old the last time we had him
eeeh don't think he will draw

- Bobby Abreu
too much $ and will take a bath on him

Baseball
- Bert Blyleven - Only time would be offseason due to announcing responsibilities been trying
- Joe Carter- Jimmy has tried
- Jim Edmonds- no interest
- Jeff Bagwell- Tri Star won't give him to us.

Baseball
- Joe Carter
- Jim Edmonds
- Jeff Bagwell

#47 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Ok Silverback what do you think of these suggestions

Ricky Ledee- WS champ I can’t remember the last time he did a show.

Nick Swisher- 09 champion Rarely does appearances and a fan favorite

Roger Clemens- Drew very well at the MAB appearance a few years ago.

General thought- would you consider some of the lesser-known guys from the recent Yankee dynasty years as free guests? This might entice people to start more team pieces and create market demand for some of the higher ticket guys.

David Robertson

Denny Neagle

Jack Clark

Football

Derrick Brooks
Reggie Wayne
Marvin Harrison (reschedule)

Thanks for your consideration

#48 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

One more oddball request. Andy Hawkins, the infamous Yankee no-hit loss

To my knowledge, he has never done a show. Might be a cool name to add to any Yankee no hitter pieces

#49 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostBozman26, on 19 December 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

General thought- would you consider some of the lesser-known guys from the recent Yankee dynasty years as free guests? This might entice people to start more team pieces and create market demand for some of the higher ticket guys.

Silver - thanks for the response.

Boz - they just had Mike Stanton as the free signer at Hofstra so the answer has to be yes.

#50 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

Jeter

See I don’t see Stanton as a no name guy. He was a key set up man. I’m thinking about guys like Todd Erdos, Ted Lilly, Jason Grimsley, etc...

#51 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

But obviously a great name and a marquee free signer

#52 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

View PostBozman26, on 19 December 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

Jeter

See I don’t see Stanton as a no name guy. He was a key set up man. I’m thinking about guys like Todd Erdos, Ted Lilly, Jason Grimsley, etc...

I interpreted “lesser” as in not-Knoblauch/Brosius/ONeill/Tino/Bernie/Core4 Type player. No doubt Stanton was a key contributer, hence why he did well at Hofstra as a free signer.

The problem with someone like Todd Erdos, if you weren’t working on a ‘99 Yankees Piece, what appeal does he have to the average collector? Not like he has many set cards out either. You’re appealing to an extremely small collector base.

#53 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

I’m personally set on the following names, but I’m surprised you don’t see more frequent requests on the boards for:

- Mike Mussina (JPs has had him in private signings, I know Moose is a private guy)
- Raul Ibanez
- Jose Molina (last Homerun Old YS)
- Dave Righetti (no longer SF Pitching coach, more flexible schedule?)
- Chien Ming Wang
- Nick Swisher (seen a few requests of late)
- Robin Ventura
- Todd Zeille
- Mike Stanley
- Al Leiter (fellow collector himself, I remember he had a good time at an MAB show interacting with fans about 10 years ago)
- Enrique Wilson
- Gerald Williams
- Rickey Ledee (see him requested often, but no ones been able to lure him in)
- Denny Neagle (ditto Ledee)
- Chili Davis
- Mike Lowell

#54 User is offline   bonafyde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostMrJeter2, on 19 December 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

I interpreted “lesser” as in not-Knoblauch/Brosius/ONeill/Tino/Bernie/Core4 Type player. No doubt Stanton was a key contributer, hence why he did well at Hofstra as a free signer.

The problem with someone like Todd Erdos, if you weren’t working on a ‘99 Yankees Piece, what appeal does he have to the average collector? Not like he has many set cards out either. You’re appealing to an extremely small collector base.

#55 User is offline   bonafyde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

I’m very pleased to see that I’m not the only collector on the board who would love to see more 90s era Yankees at the shows.

I was a bit shocked that MAB said they they weren’t even going to consider bringing in O’Neill, Brosius or Knoblauch because “not enough people care about them”. Hence, they won’t make money and it’s not worth it.

On the contrary, I would think those names would bring more excitement than Reggie, Nettles Roy White etc.. as we see them at almost every show. Please let me know if I am alone in this thought process.

I know nothing about the business or what these guys are asking to come sign. However, $99 for Knoblauch or $100 for O’Neill wouldn’t be the worst considering Ronald Torreyes is listed at $58. Not here to complain just wanted to see if others like myself were in demand for some more dynasty era Yankees to finish or start any projects.

#56 User is offline   gzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:18 AM

I suppose STEINER isn't willing to share the risk on Paulie...

#57 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

I agree with you as well i would like to see more 90's era players me myself personally am just about done with the 70's yankees players. The only older yankees i really need are Mickey Rivers, Horace Clarke, and Tommy John. That's literally the only 3 older yankees i really need. I see it from the promoters perspective too however that guys like sparky, roy white, graig nettles come in so cheap there's not alot of risk involved i totally get it and people keep buying em u know. But i agree me myself personally am in the market for much more newer 90's players and closer to today's players like David Wells, Orlando Hernandez, Swisher, Curtis Granderson, heck i know alot of yankee fans are not a fan of him but me personally would be all in on A-Rod, Mike Mussina even if it's a private signing i am in a big need for, CC Sabathia, Gary Sheffield, Chuck Knoblauch and Jim Abbott i'd really love to see. As you can see i would be in the market for much newer players. And me personally id rather see a severino back again or a judge over a cast of warren, kahnle, shreve and domingo but than again i have no clue how crazy high judge and severino would be now and you would have to deal with steiner and fanatics so i totally get that as well. I went to the gary sanchez signing the other day where he was 200 for any item and the line was crazy and i believe they sold out of tickets.

#58 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

Sorry i do have one more older player id love to see but granted his health right now i totally get if he might not be available anymore and thats mel stottlemyre. Another 90's guy i would love to see again is Joe Torre. But i gotta say though the lineup for the MAB show in January is honestly a damn good lineup for me. They gave me a harder old guy i needed (Roberto Kelly). They gave me a couple 90's dynasty players i needed (Ramiro Mendoza and Jeff Nelson). They gave me an older yankee i needed (Stan Bahnsen). and they gave me a memorable player who is also part of this new yankee youth revival in Aaron Boone. So i am very happy with MAB's show by far. and if Chipper gets in the hall another ticket i will be purchasing. I'm kind of surprised nobody has brought up Jack Morris or Alan Trammel to bring in January. JP's or Molly any chance of them for either January show? I'd be def in on them.

#59 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

View Postbonafyde, on 20 December 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

I’m very pleased to see that I’m not the only collector on the board who would love to see more 90s era Yankees at the shows.

I was a bit shocked that MAB said they they weren’t even going to consider bringing in O’Neill, Brosius or Knoblauch because “not enough people care about them”. Hence, they won’t make money and it’s not worth it.

On the contrary, I would think those names would bring more excitement than Reggie, Nettles Roy White etc.. as we see them at almost every show. Please let me know if I am alone in this thought process.

I know nothing about the business or what these guys are asking to come sign. However, $99 for Knoblauch or $100 for O’Neill wouldn’t be the worst considering Ronald Torreyes is listed at $58. Not here to complain just wanted to see if others like myself were in demand for some more dynasty era Yankees to finish or start any projects.

Mollie was pretty candid in her “behind the scenes” response. She implied that just to break even for someone like Knoblauch, she would need to sell 200 tickets priced at $88 each. That’s about $20K total expense just to break even.

Of course, an added perk for a promoter to consider is that if you bring in an appealing name like Knoblauch, it lures the collector to the show. Once at the show, there’s the strong chance that they decide to spend money on additional autograph tickets or at booths. Aka additional business that the promoter is getting as an indirect reward for taking the risk on that athlete. For example, I wouldn’t go out of my way to White Plains just for Jose Canseco, but since the incentive of free guest Pagliarulo has me planning on going to the JPs show, I might add Canseco on some pieces.

It’s definitely a risky business - but certainly has its rewards. I respect JPs and MAB for the job that they do, especially in recent years with a wavering economy and athlete financial demands only going up.

The thing about Knoblauch, he appeals to many different collector needs. Former ROY, former Yankee WSC on three different teams, former all star, etc. But it’s a business decision that the promoter has to make and I respect the decision. That’s not to say you’ll never see him on the show circuit again. Either his demands come down, or perhaps he’s in town one week and it’s more convenient to work something out. I’m pretty confident that the Yankees will be honoring the 1998 team this year, that would be a great time for a promoter to consider planning an event that same weekend with Knoblauch in town. (He’s from Texas).

As for the price comparison with Torreyes at the MAB show, it’s hard to compare. Obviously, Knoblauch/ONeill should be *worth* more than 2x Torreyes’ autograph; after all, Torreyes hasn’t accomplished half of what these guys have. But Torreyes is a more popular name with the current fan since he’s active. It also might be less of a financial commitment where the promoter feels confident that they could meet their break even demands. And who knows how Torreyes’ pricing is structured, given that the website lists him and several others as being brought in by Steiner. It might be a different agreement between MAB and Steiner. Heck, Bobby Richardson for $18 w free WS MVP inscription and a beautiful autograph is a steal especially compared to how the others are priced.

As I’ve said before, I can use Knoblauch on a generic Yankees piece which I have 100+ Yankees signed over the past 8 decades. Along with Pagliarulo and Jim Abbott, he’s probably the best Yankee who I don’t already have on the piece. (This speaks to how complete the piece already is - I can easily retire it now and feel at peace knowing I have the key legendary players and co). I felt more at the mercy of the promoter for my 1998 team bat, where players like Brosius/Knoblauch/Irabu were more must haves given that they played on the team. Thankfully, my 1998 bat is complete and comfortably on display - I have a photo of it as my SHL icon.

I’d like to add Knoblauch to my generic Yankees piece, but I can deal with it if it doesn’t happen. He’s not a *must* on that.

And you’re far from the only person who collects Yankee dynasty players. Players like Todd Erdos are always the hardest ones to find. That’s how Mike Buddie was on my 1998 bat. Good luck!

#60 User is offline   bonafyde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 20 December 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Mollie was pretty candid in her “behind the scenes” response. She implied that just to break even for someone like Knoblauch, she would need to sell 200 tickets priced at $88 each. That’s about $20K total expense just to break even.

Of course, an added perk for a promoter to consider is that if you bring in an appealing name like Knoblauch, it lures the collector to the show. Once at the show, there’s the strong chance that they decide to spend money on additional autograph tickets or at booths. Aka additional business that the promoter is getting as an indirect reward for taking the risk on that athlete. For example, I wouldn’t go out of my way to White Plains just for Jose Canseco, but since the incentive of free guest Pagliarulo has me planning on going to the JPs show, I might add Canseco on some pieces.

It’s definitely a risky business - but certainly has its rewards. I respect JPs and MAB for the job that they do, especially in recent years with a wavering economy and athlete financial demands only going up.

The thing about Knoblauch, he appeals to many different collector needs. Former ROY, former Yankee WSC on three different teams, former all star, etc. But it’s a business decision that the promoter has to make and I respect the decision. That’s not to say you’ll never see him on the show circuit again. Either his demands come down, or perhaps he’s in town one week and it’s more convenient to work something out. I’m pretty confident that the Yankees will be honoring the 1998 team this year, that would be a great time for a promoter to consider planning an event that same weekend with Knoblauch in town. (He’s from Texas).

As for the price comparison with Torreyes at the MAB show, it’s hard to compare. Obviously, Knoblauch/ONeill should be *worth* more than 2x Torreyes’ autograph; after all, Torreyes hasn’t accomplished half of what these guys have. But Torreyes is a more popular name with the current fan since he’s active. It also might be less of a financial commitment where the promoter feels confident that they could meet their break even demands. And who knows how Torreyes’ pricing is structured, given that the website lists him and several others as being brought in by Steiner. It might be a different agreement between MAB and Steiner. Heck, Bobby Richardson for $18 w free WS MVP inscription and a beautiful autograph is a steal especially compared to how the others are priced.

As I’ve said before, I can use Knoblauch on a generic Yankees piece which I have 100+ Yankees signed over the past 8 decades. Along with Pagliarulo and Jim Abbott, he’s probably the best Yankee who I don’t already have on the piece. (This speaks to how complete the piece already is - I can easily retire it now and feel at peace knowing I have the key legendary players and co). I felt more at the mercy of the promoter for my 1998 team bat, where players like Brosius/Knoblauch/Irabu were more must haves given that they played on the team. Thankfully, my 1998 bat is complete and comfortably on display - I have a photo of it as my SHL icon.

I’d like to add Knoblauch to my generic Yankees piece, but I can deal with it if it doesn’t happen. He’s not a *must* on that.

And you’re far from the only person who collects Yankee dynasty players. Players like Todd Erdos are always the hardest ones to find. That’s how Mike Buddie was on my 1998 bat. Good luck!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users