SigningsHotline.com Forum: GTSM April 2018 - Edison, NJ - SigningsHotline.com Forum

Welcome! SigningsHotline DeLuxe now offers Email AND Text alerts for any athlete, state, college, team or award you like. Plus more listing info, shop 800 dealers at once and Gold members even get autograph discounts from the top promoters. Click Here To Join Now!

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GTSM April 2018 - Edison, NJ

#61 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

Attended today. Decent turn out, typical GTSM show in terms of vendors..I.e...not a lot of them.

Got the following: Brian Urlacher,Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary. All 3 were fan friendly. Posed for pictures and Gave strong signatures on all my pieces. Urlacher was over the top phenomenal...he signed my friends jersey for free and was just overly friendly.

The venue was fine by me as I’ve attended a few old Triumph shows here in the past.

Great seeing Chopper as always.

Other than Clemens at Mollies summer show on the horizon so now we sit and wait

#62 User is offline   chopper31 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationGrand Island, NY

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:41 PM

Bozman26 said:

1525040859[/url]' post='22197']
Great seeing Chopper as always.

^ Likewise, Boz

I’ll have my review of the event ready by tomorrow (most likely)

#63 User is offline   chopper31 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationGrand Island, NY

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:59 PM

Overall, I was very happy with the event (Note: I attended Sunday only). All of my 5 signers showed up, and all signatures turned out well.

I would say everything was about what I expected...not really any surprises. The vendors of course left a lot to be desired...but that was expected.

I personally do not like the new venue, and think it was a downgrade from the old one, but I guess the other building is no longer available. This building I would describe simply as adequate.

I see the best kept secret in the hobby is still to purchase your tickets online in advance. Zero line at will call at 10am, while the general admission line to get in was at least a football field deep. I also had all of my autograph tickets numbered no higher than #7, and just purchased them 2 weeks ago, so that also means that the vast majority of customers must have bought their autograph tickets at the event.

The unquestionable low point of the show was the inefficiency of the photo ops. There was a big log jam with this, and I was at the show for at least an hour longer than I had to be, all because of the photo op delays. In my opinion the root of the problem was they were only doing one athlete at a time. If it not mistaken, they had two at a time in years past.

Another thing that was proven at this show was that there truly are no authentication companies that can really be taken seriously anymore. Beckett was a choice at this show, and not only were they just placing stickers on anything without question, but their COA’s stated: “the signature(s) on this item were personally witnessed by a representative of Beckett Authentication Services”. That of course is a completely invalid statement. In my opinion, that’s a big step below JSA placing their “basic” cert stickers on anything, which is also purely based on the honor system. So the bottom line is, no matter who the authentication sticker is from (or what type it is), always know there very well still is a chance of a fraudulent signature on any item you are looking at buying second hand. PROVA was the 3rd option for authentication at the show and actually had people standing at Tim Brown’s signing table, placing their emblems on the signed items immediately afterwards. They seemed to have a large crew on hand at the show as well, so that they could actually have people out there on the floor. Of the 3 authentication choices, they by far made the best effort, but unfortunately for them probably were still the clear 3rd choice.

I didn’t have any bad experiences with the 5 signers I got, but Charles Woodson was just meh. He wasn’t rude or standoffish, but not very talkative either, so not really a memorable experience. What was a bit disturbing about him, was that he had an open bag of lays potato chips on the signing table, and I actually have a pic of him with his hand in the bag. Just what every collector needs, a ($175) signer, with greasy fingers all ready to handle your beloved collectibles. It also wasn’t easy to shell out $175 for (what I knew was going to be) a glorified scribble, but I had to bite the bullet, as I know I was gonna eventually need his signature to complete a collection. So I got it now, before it goes up in price even more.

Mark Clayton and Mark Duper were cool. Signatures turned out nice, and it was great being able to just walk up to the signing table with no line at all, and get 2 signatures back to back.

Tim Brown was great, and I guess he is a PROVA client (I never knew there was such a thing), so any item he signed received a PROVA emblem for free. Again, this was a signing which the authenticator could actually say they did witness.

The unquestionable highlight of my day was Rocket Ismail. I can’t say enough about how much of a first class signer he is. In addition to having what I feel is the best autograph in the biz, he takes his time and makes sure every collector is getting EXACTLY what they want. I don’t think it would be a stretch to say he took a good minute per item signed on average. His personality is also uniquely charming. I can’t imagine anyone having anything other than an A+ experience with him. I paid the extra $35 for his full Raghib “Rocket” Ismail signature, and was worth every penny (and then some).

This may have actually been my last GTSM show. It’s not that I don’t want to be at future shows, but of the remaining signatures I will be seeking out, I can’t imagine GTSM bringing any of them in. If this was indeed my last GTSM show, it ended on a good note, and I can’t say I ever had a bad experience with them...

#64 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

I agree 100 percent w rocket ismaiel i also got him at the show for my notre dame helmet and he was complimenting me on how much he loved it and wanfed to know exactly where i wanted it and was so excited. By far rocket is my fav player ive met no questions asked on that. All of the signers i had were great JPP was great and took a pic w me and my daughter and wife at the table and played w my daughter. Manti teo was very nice and cordial. Only dave casper was kind of quiet and didnt want to say too much but i cant complain because he put a capt 73 champs inscription on my notre dame helmet without me even asking for one. So overall one of the few times ive enjoyed everything about the weekend at gtsm. I did enjoy the old venue much more however and the vendors again were so poor even worst than last year. Very odd that a no joke quilt feat was 4 times the size than this show at the same center. Trust me i know i went over w my family to check it out lol. But overall a great weekend. Sadly with jps w nothing until august and now competing same weekend w mab i have nothing until cooperstown proly in late july

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users