SigningsHotline.com Forum: oct white plains - SigningsHotline.com Forum

Welcome! SigningsHotline DeLuxe now offers Email AND Text alerts for any athlete, state, college, team or award you like. Plus more listing info, shop 800 dealers at once and Gold members even get autograph discounts from the top promoters. Click Here To Join Now!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

oct white plains

#21 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 10 September 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

Nice addition, Jim. Obviously he doesn’t surface too much on the East Coast especially. Plus a fitting addition with this being the 30th Anniversary of the 1988 Dodgers.

Im not saying anything new when I say that Tommy is quite the grump. When the cameras are on him, he plays nice, but he’s a real POS otherwise. When Mollie had him for a rare East Coast Show about 5 years ago, he had about 3 handlers dedicated to making sure he was focused (and on his meds). Similar controls needed to be on him during his book tour circa 2011.

Obviously he’s over 90 now and I wish him well and think he’ll be a very successful guest at your show. Hopefully his signature isn’t too shaky nowadays in his old age - and for those looking to meet him, hopefully he’s not too cranky.

MrJeter,

Let try and focus on the positive here (LOL).

We thought Tommy would be a nice add to the show, because he is a HOF and has not been around in a while and as you said is getting older and this might be his last visit to the East Coast. He does travel with an aid and will be in town for a few days so we will take our time with him at the show. He will do all backroom mail order the day before the show, so he will be fresh for the show.

His signature looked good on the contract.

Jim

#22 User is offline   BronxLou 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 10 September 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

Nice addition, Jim. Obviously he doesn’t surface too much on the East Coast especially. Plus a fitting addition with this being the 30th Anniversary of the 1988 Dodgers.

Im not saying anything new when I say that Tommy is quite the grump. When the cameras are on him, he plays nice, but he’s a real POS otherwise. When Mollie had him for a rare East Coast Show about 5 years ago, he had about 3 handlers dedicated to making sure he was focused (and on his meds). Similar controls needed to be on him during his book tour circa 2011.

Obviously he’s over 90 now and I wish him well and think he’ll be a very successful guest at your show. Hopefully his signature isn’t too shaky nowadays in his old age - and for those looking to meet him, hopefully he’s not too cranky.

If you get a cranky lasorda then you got lucky that day

#23 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:05 PM

View Postjpssports, on 10 September 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

MrJeter,

Let try and focus on the positive here (LOL).

We thought Tommy would be a nice add to the show, because he is a HOF and has not been around in a while and as you said is getting older and this might be his last visit to the East Coast. He does travel with an aid and will be in town for a few days so we will take our time with him at the show. He will do all backroom mail order the day before the show, so he will be fresh for the show.

His signature looked good on the contract.

Jim

Agreed, as I indicated multiple times in my posting, I commended you for bringing him to the show for all the reasons you just reiterated. It’s always nice and refreshing to see a new guest, so I give you credit for working out a deal with Mead to bring him in to a rare East Coast appearance.

I’m as positive a person as they come, however, I’m stating the facts 😉

#24 User is offline   gzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostMrJeter2, on 10 September 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

Agreed, as I indicated multiple times in my posting, I commended you for bringing him to the show for all the reasons you just reiterated. It’s always nice and refreshing to see a new guest, so I give you credit for working out a deal with Mead to bring him in to a rare East Coast appearance.

I’m as positive a person as they come, however, I’m stating the facts 😉

If any issues, Mead will be giving him politeness pointers and pushing his hand along...

#25 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:02 PM

Awesome Chambliss, Fred Stanley and Bobby Shantz all on Saturday! Thank you very much Jim i will be there!

#26 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

Everyone,

Individual pricing is up for the 78 Yankees, will offer a Super ticket price by Monday, still trying to work out a few missing pieces.

We added Domingo Ramos to the show

Jim

#27 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:47 AM

I see the 1978 Yankees super ticket is up. To confirm, the 17 players included in the super ticket price do not include the team’s best pitcher Guidry, hitter Jackson...but includes Domingo Ramos who appeared in 1 game with 0 AB all year?

If/when Guidry is added, will he be included in the updated super ticket cost?

Lastly, what will be the cost of the 1978 unsigned items (canvas ticket, helmet, World Series Ball) as pictured on the site?

Looks like a pretty good lineup that came together quickly...appreciate the clarification in advance.

Thanks

#28 User is offline   85yanks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

Website says contact was attempted with Tidrow and Holtzman but unscuccessful. Glad to hear it was attempted.

Haven't seen any mention of Jim Beattie though. Had 2 big wins down the stretch to help force the playoff game against the Red Sox. And then started a game each in the ALCS and the World Series, winning them both, including a complete game in game 5 of the World Series.

#29 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

View Post85yanks, on 18 September 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Website says contact was attempted with Tidrow and Holtzman but unscuccessful. Glad to hear it was attempted.

Haven't seen any mention of Jim Beattie though. Had 2 big wins down the stretch to help force the playoff game against the Red Sox. And then started a game each in the ALCS and the World Series, winning them both, including a complete game in game 5 of the World Series.

Jim Beattie, great guy have had in the past, is going to be away traveling and could not do either show White Plains or Hofstra - we tried.

Jim

#30 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostMrJeter2, on 18 September 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

I see the 1978 Yankees super ticket is up. To confirm, the 17 players included in the super ticket price do not include the team’s best pitcher Guidry, hitter Jackson...but includes Domingo Ramos who appeared in 1 game with 0 AB all year?

If/when Guidry is added, will he be included in the updated super ticket cost?

Lastly, what will be the cost of the 1978 unsigned items (canvas ticket, helmet, World Series Ball) as pictured on the site?

Looks like a pretty good lineup that came together quickly...appreciate the clarification in advance.

Thanks

MrJeter,

Cost of the raw goods on the site will be

78 Yankee Balls - $35

Batting Helmets Full Size - $60

Tickets - $69

If you want you can call the office and you can pre order the items.

Thanks
Jim

#31 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

View Postjpssports, on 18 September 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

MrJeter,

Cost of the raw goods on the site will be

78 Yankee Balls - $35

Batting Helmets Full Size - $60

Tickets - $69

If you want you can call the office and you can pre order the items.

Thanks
Jim

Thanks Jim. And as 85yanks said, thanks for at least trying for Tidrow.

#32 User is offline   reader 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

There was a 1977-78 Yankees weekend reunion show in 1993 at Queens College that was one of the greatest shows I've ever attended in all aspects of the use of the word great. Not a single foul up and not a single cancellation. The players were super and everybody interacted and were extremely personable, accommodating and seemingly happy to be there. The only thing that kept this from being an all time top 5 show for me was that the promoter couldn't land Ken Holtzman or Andy Messersmith. He did though have Dick Tidrow and Tidrow was really into the whole weekends festivities. Signing, talking, answering questions, posing for pictures, he couldn't seem to do enough to make collectors experiences as positive as possible. All the players were like that. I knew the promoter and he was one good guy in this hobby. The players all got paid, catered to and had their weekends made as relaxing as possible. I took some of them to the airport to catch their flights, including Tidrow, and they were very engaging and spoke very highly of their experience. Tidrow was impressed and even mentioned he'd be back, especially if this promoter asked him to, because of the treatment he received and the overall experience. He said he'd done some small appearances but that this NY appearance was totally something he was really wowed by. Somewhere along the line he must have gotten screwed badly by a deeply negative experience. Who knows, bad promoter, bounced check, airport mixup, out of hand collector crowd, something really negative turned him off to shows almost completely because his aversion to public autographing does not square up to the reaction of the Dick Tidrow I saw and met that weekend in 1993. Too bad, nice guy and nice autograph.

#33 User is offline   Lou 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

When Lincecum won his 2 Cy Youngs, Tidrow cane into NY for the Writers dinner both years because he works for the Giants. He agreed to meet me in the AM before his flight to sign my stuff. When we spoke he just said to me that he was busy and wasn’t really interested in doing a signing. But he said he’d sign whatever you wanted if you saw him. No real reason. Just a ‘nah not interested.’ He was even cool about coming back down to the hotel lobby after I arrived late to our meeting time. And said it was fine cause I told him I was helping my daughter study for her science test. Great experience.

I have him on a 77-78 ball that I got back in the day Reader. Must have been Queens College but I can’t remember.

#34 User is offline   gzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:46 PM

Great stories..thanks for sharing...one would think Tidrow would like seeing his old teammates...

#35 User is offline   MrJeter2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:48 PM

Jim, any updates with Ron Guidry being added...and any previews of the custom 16x20 print which JPs is working on for this event? Thanks.

#36 User is offline   reader 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:10 AM

Anybody on here long enough to remember the good old days (?) of SHL when there would be after show opinion posts of how the show went, how the signers were, anything else that was interesting to the poster? I guess that's too much effort for the new wave of collectors.

#37 User is offline   Bozman26 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

Agree with Reader...only a few of us still do it. The boards are getting a bit stagnant lately

#38 User is offline   jpssports 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

View Postreader, on 08 October 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Anybody on here long enough to remember the good old days (?) of SHL when there would be after show opinion posts of how the show went, how the signers were, anything else that was interesting to the poster? I guess that's too much effort for the new wave of collectors.

Reader,

I will give you a quick review of the show.

The show was slower than normal, October has always been a challenge to us, it is the slower of the White Plains Shows. This show has always been a challenge even back in the day when Gloria had it, if you remember she used to run the October show in the basement and after we bought the show from the Rothsteins we moved the show up to the bigger room and have been working hard to make this show better. In talking to some of the dealers I heard mixed results, good, bad and okay. We also had the Comic Con running against us this weekend, next year it will not run against us.

I did hear of some nice buys and trades being made in the room during the weeknd. I actually saw a gentleman trying to see a 1952 Mantle with some other bigger cards. Don't know if he sold them or not. I also heard that the T206 cards were very popular and that one dealer broke up a set for sale and they were being sold back and forth in the room to customers and dealers.

As far as the guests were concerned they were all great. It was fun getting what ever 78 Yankees we could together, its getting harder to do as it is 40 years and some of the guys just can't do it anymore. A few could not make it, two are coming to Hofstra etc...

Well thats a short recap for you.

Thank you to everyone who supported the show.

Hope to see you all at Hofstra.

Jim

#39 User is offline   DjbNYG5692 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

I went to the show om saturday and got shantz stanley and chambliss. All were great and i honestly thought it was a pretty good turn out considering these were the less of big name guys from the 78 team. I had a great time and bought a reggie jackson bobblehead from the yankee stadium give away. Great job jps

#40 User is offline   bobbydmetfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:48 PM

I went Saturday for Shantz, Chambliss, White & Pinella. All were great, posed for pics at the table, and gave good signatures.

Looking forward to Hofstra..............

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users